The Drought is Over... Kinda

I thought this day would never come. I feared I would be unemployed for all enternity. I believed I was destined to become a Dr. Phil fan no matter how hard I fought it. But alas, the drought is over. I am employed. I have officially joined The Soft Society (for a definition, see www.schmusic.com/flash.html).

It seems someone has finally recognized that my skills extend beyond walking and talking. You may remember that I recently attended a job fair where I charmed the pants off (not literally) a male interviewer. Well, it worked. As of June 19th, I will be a customer service professional at a call centre . I have accepted the challenge to sit, pick up a phone, and talk--simultaneously. Watch out world! And while it means I will miss my 4 o'clock ritual (me, mum, and Oprah), it also means that I will be getting a paltry but much-needed paycheque every 2 weeks. And getting a lot more use out of the VCR timer.

This employment has come just in the nick of time. My dad is in between jobs for a few weeks, which means I will be at home with BOTH of my parents. Between my dad monitoring when I wake up in the morning, and my mom with her "psychic" abilities (she predicted the phone would ring about 5 minutes ago), not to mention their near-constant bickering, there is little peace to be found at home. They just pick-pick-pick at each other, it's only a matter of time before all that negative attention would turn to me. I'm getting out, and I'm taking what little self-esteem I have left with me.

But there may be a down side to my sudden surge of hire-ability. I recently completed the in-class portion of my driver's education, and have started the in-car lessons with my male instructor. But today, totally uncharacteristic of my usual encounters with the opposite sex, he forgot about me! I sat on my front porch waiting for him to come and he never showed up. I thought about it for a long time, and decided there's only one explanation for this drastic turn of events: Getting a job has killed my mojo. Sigh. My future is looking sadly devoid of free drinks.

To end on a brighter note, I met an extremely nice and generous man from a local publication who gave me some great advice on freelancing in London. It is so nice to live in a city where someone will actually meet with you to give you guidance, despite having looked at your blog with your scary Chicken Little hair. Or maybe I have a little charm left in me yet.

-sbg

0 comments: