The Art of Communication

I realize that my mother is often the subject in this blog, and in that regard, often the object of my ridicule. But for God's sake, could the woman give me any more material?

Since I have mastered the art of driving, I am using her car everyday. Mostly for work, but I like to have a little "me" time out on the road too. So I guess my parents have been discussing giving me that car, and to that end, were wondering if I could afford insurance. This is an almost verbatim transcript of our conversation:

Mum: Do you think you can afford the insurance for the car?
Me: How much is it?
Mum: A lot.
Me: How much is a lot?
Mum: I don't know... I just know it's a lot.
Me: Well, how much do you pay?
Mum: Since I had that accident, it went up a lot.
Me: Uh... could you ballpark it for me?
Mum: I don't know... $500?
Me: A month?!
Mum: Um, yeah... uh... I don't know. Ask your dad. I just know it's a lot.
Me: (Sigh)

I'm not even going to recount the conversation I had with my dad about it... just decrease the "a lot" comments by half and replace them with the similarly vague, "it depends".

The art of communication at it's finest, folks. I guess you can see how I ended up the articulate woman I am today.

In other news, the job is going well. While I'm not necessarily more confident in myself, I think my boss is more confident I can actually do the job. As I explained it to a friend earlier today, whenever I manage to say something interesting and creative during our brainstorming sessions, my first thought isn't "Yay Me!", it's more like "Okay, I'm not getting fired today. Whew." Which means that sadly, my quarter-life crisis lives on. Insatiable bastard.

It's crazy... so many things that I dreamed about before I moved have come true: I got a job in my field. I got my driver's license. I'm not broke (thanks to today's paycheque). Yet still, I have these feelings of restlessness and discontent. I guess I'm more high-maintenance than I thought.

But I'm not unhappy. And while that doesn't sound like much, compared to how I felt in January, that's a lot (for lack of a less-used term). On the even brighter side, I think I've knocked off more than half of my New Year's Resolutions list, which is unheard of for me. I'm doing so well, I'm actually considering using my gym membership.

Look out 2007!
sbg

1 comments:

Ham said...

Um, Marsha, apparently you've all been holding out on me. And this ambiguous "you all" refers specifically to the O'Connor fam (our one degree of separation) who did not inform me of this excellent piece of procrastination-entertainment until this past Friday. Your blog is hilarious (particularly b/c I can hear you speaking out loud in my head - shouting over those other voices, of course).