Renoucing the Scale

I forgot that I promised McKinley the story about why I renounced my scale, so here it is: My friend Sonia made me this Weight Loss Tracker in Excel because she and I made a plan to eat healthy, work out, and lose about 2 pounds a week (read: New Year's Resolution). Anyway, after a slow start, I was actually eating quite healthy: fruit and nuts for snacks, salad every day for lunch, fairly sensible dinners. Plus, I'm going to Pilates 3 times a week and the gym 3 times a week. So I step on the scale, feeling quite proud of myself, only to discover that I have gained weight. I was so pissed. Maybe it's muscle, maybe my dinners weren't as sensible as I thought, maybe a million things. But I decided then and there to renounce my scale. I was proud of my progress and that scale threatened to derail all of my good feelings. Though I never thought I would be one of "those" people, I actually feel good just knowing that I'm being active and not pigging out (except for the occasional 2 lunches--old habits die hard). Losing weight is no longer the goal. Maybe I'll always be chubby, but if I quit smoking, I could end up living longer. Which may or may not be a good thing... I'll keep you posted.

If this was a movie, or I lived in a high-rise apartment, I would have thrown my scale out of my window and watched it fall in slow-motion until it crashed into a million pieces. If this was a comedy movie, it would have hit another chubby person.

weight ain't nuthin' but a number,
~sbg

3 comments:

Unknown said...

why do you say 'chubby' like it's a bad thing?

superblackgirl said...

jesse: did i say it like it's a bad thing? i don't really think it is... except this morning I was sitting on my bed naked putting cream on my feet and I happened to glimpse myself in the mirror and was fairly horrified. chubby is a good, but maybe a little better when i'm standing.

McKinley said...

Hello. The word is voluptuous. I hope that's how it's spelled. When I first started dating Ben, he called me "round". Yeah. Didn't love that. Jason used to call me pillowy, which is sort of cute I guess.But that was when I actually used to go to the gym...oh, I give up. May that scale hit my chubby ass on the way down.