To Make a Long Story Short(er)

I was writing staff biographies at work recently and thought, "I wish instead of writing these standard bios --he worked here, he did this, blah blah blah-- we could tell a story about a person that sums up who they are as a person." Since it's not likely my boss will go for this idea, I thought it might be a fun exercise for the blog. Just for you. Well, a few of you anyway.


Max Fabulous
Max goes into Tim Horton's and orders a steeped tea.

Chick behind the counter: We don't have any.
Max: You don't have any? Like, you ran out?
Chick: We don't have any made.
Max: Well, can you make some?
Chick: (Sigh) You'll have to wait. It's going to take like 10 minutes.
Max: No, actually, it takes 4 minutes. And yes, I'll wait.
Chick: (Bigger sigh + eye roll)

Chick reluctantly attends to her job, getting steeped tea ready and turning on the timer. 4 minutes flashes in red. She looks over at Max to see if she has seen the timer. Max is smiling smugly. Chick turns around.

4 minutes later...
Chick: (gives Max the tea) Sorry about the wait.
Max: (not smug anymore, but glowing with the satisfaction of being right) No problem.

And that sums up Max's personality in a nutshell. Asks for what she wants (especially steeped tea), points out when you're wrong, is slightly smug when she's right, but at the end, still a very nice and polite young lady.


McKinder
At J's house, probably the second or third time we met. J and the boys leave McKinder and I alone at the house while they get food or something. Within 10 minutes, she and I are on the ground, listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and singing at the top of our lungs, likely the start of the landlord's case for J's eviction. For the next hour or so, we sing songs and dance. By the time the boys return, we're basically best friends.

That sums up McKinder's personality to me because it really doesn't take long to fall in love with her. And anyone who's been to karaoke with her knows she puts her heart into every song and it's totally infectious.


The Bean
(Note: This is less of a story and more like the perfect Bean day)
Meet at Red Room, order Pad Thai and Fried Tofu. The Bean always encourages me to eat more. Literally, I could be opening my mouth to say "No, I'm full" and she'd shove a piece of the tofu in my mouth on the "No". Next, go to Chapters. Grab way too many books and then sit at a table across from each other and make notes, read funny/interesting parts to each other. Random guys come up to us, seemingly to ask a question, really because people are just drawn to Bean. She talks and entertains them much longer than they deserve. Then, a movie. When we went to the see Rent, we left the theatre making up our own words to the tune of "Seasons of Love". When we went to her house, she made me still more food and we changed into our pyjamas ridiculously early to watch the movie. The Bean also is highly supportive of naps.

This is a perfect Bean story because she's up for everything, can make anything fun, and likes to feed me. At more times than I can count in a Bean day, we're laughing and trying to out-joke each other (i.e. challenge each other's spaces). And contemplating punching someone in the face.


I'm stopping now, because it's been like an hour and I'm not sure anyone other than these 3 people read this blog anymore. If anyone else wants their personal story done, let me know.

~sbg

3 comments:

McKinley said...

Thank you! I remember that day. I think they were trying to work on the magazine and we decided to intrude. I can't remember where they went either..but oh, how I remember the singing.

How I long for those days..hopefully by the time I move to Toronto, you'll be back there instead of London. Seriously, no matter how much I love you I won't move back to the forest shitty.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can imagine my delight when I logged on to your blog this morning and saw THREE new posts since last I visited (a couple days, maybe?)! I can only imagine what would be written to sum up my personality. I suspect the phrase, "Why you gotta be a hater, McCracken?" would sneak in there somewhere.

You were in my dream last night. While I think there is very little that is more tedious than listening to someone else's dreams, I'll tell you about it quickly. You and I were playing with an electonic keyboard on a bus. It must have been the Magic Bus. Since neither of us knows how to play piano, we were searching through the beats for something to sing along with (sing--also something I don't know how to do so this must have been for you). Finally, you pressed a magic button and out came the melody for "Never Too Much"/Luther Vandross (obviously I am way more effected by American Idol than I want to admit). You started belting it out and suddenly a crowd appeared. Then the dog barked and woke me up.

Miss you, Marsha!

Unknown said...

i wish i was going to be toronto for your next visit! frick.