what i've learned

There are so many things to be learned from moving back in with your parents. For me, I don't think I ever realized all of the things my parents can't do. Sometimes I say to myself, "Thank God I'm home or these people would be housebound and starving!" It just astounds me that I lived 2 hours away from these people for 10 years and somehow they managed to survive. But now that I'm home...

The following is a list of tasks my parents regularly ask me to do:

1. Drive through the car wash
2. Buy Tim Horton's
3. Move the cars in the driveway
4. Grocery shop
5. Decide on and purchase Sunday dinner
6. Read the dishwasher manual
7. Set the VCR (um, hello? Can we get a PVR already!)
8. Buy oil for the car
9. Put gas in the car
10. Make something in the crock pot

That's the short list. It's not even a good list... I have to give you the scenarios so you can get a real picture of my life here.

Scenario 1 - Saturday morning
Me: (sleeping in bed)
Mum: What time are you planning to get up?
Me: Um... what? huh?
Mum: What time are you planning to get up? I have a lot of things I need you to do today.
Me: Well, I didn't really make a plan (yawn).
Mum: (still standing there)
Me: I guess I'll get up now.
Mum: Get up whenever you want, I just thought you would want to get up now because we need to grocery shopping and then get the computer desk and buy a gift for so-and-so and...
Me: Well, it's not like I'm sleeping anymore. I'll just get up.

Scenario 2: The next morning
Me: (Lying in bed at Steve's house)
Ring, ring.
Me: Hello?
Mum: Are you still sleeping?
Me: (Sigh) Why, what's up?
Mum: I just want to know when you're coming home.
Me: I have to drop Steve off at work for noon.
Mum: Okay, are you going to bring Tim Horton's when you come home?
Me: (Sigh) Sure.

Scenario 3: Last Friday night
Me: (downstairs eating dinner)
Dad: Marsh! I need you to move the car.
Me: (pause) Uh... is Mum standing right next to you?
Silence. Giggle. Door slam.

The end.

love sbg

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i fuckin love your mum.

Unknown said...

do you ever tell the one about lottery tickets and student loans? that one is a classic. tell it. tell it!