Is this what people do in the mornings?

Having been awoken by the sound of a jackhammer drilling through the ceiling over my bed -- oh wait, that was the blender -- I decided to take this opportunity of being awake an hour before my alarm was set to go off to give an update on the new life plan. I must warn you that I might be a little grumpy (as evidenced by the opening sentence of this post).

So it's Week 2 of school and it already seems like an eternity. Ha, ha. But truly, it is difficult getting used to have 3-hour classes morning and afternoon with just an hour lunch break. As for the instructors, they're all great. Funny, smart, interesting and cool. So far, Terry is my favourite (because he gives us two 15-minute breaks) and Dennis is my least favourite (because he didn't give us a break at all). Just kidding - did I mention I'm tired?

For those of you who are interested, there are a lot of different classes - a few on writing, TV production, TV directing, and TV critique. As you might imagine, in TV critique we get to watch TV and critique it. So evidently, I've been preparing for this class my whole life. Assignment 1 is to watch a new fall show and write a review. Perhaps I will channel my morning grumpiness into a particularly scathing review (Mischa Barton and The Beautiful Life better watch their backs).

I had an interesting conversation yesterday. I was having lunch with four girls and we were talking about being graded. I said that I didn't feel the need to get grades because regardless of what anyone else is doing, I'm going to try to do my best work. And really, if anyone is going to fuck off and do nothing, it will only help me in the end because that's one less person with whom to compete. So one of the girls says, "Wow, that's really cutthroat." Ha! Apparently in my new life plan I am a cutthroat person, which is the clearly the antithesis of what I've been in basically every other experience in my life. I think I like it.

Now if I can just channel that into my Scrabble game, I'll be a winner all around.

love sbg

0 comments: