The Job Fair and the Fracas

Today I woke up very early (or, very early for the unemployed) to go to a job fair. It was for a call centre job of course, but I figured since the company has to hire 350 people, maybe one of them could be little old me. I also liked the fact that it would be over all at once--bring your resume and references, have a first interview, a second interview, and then take a computer test. Acutally, what I really liked was being able to use my brand-new resume and not having to write a cover letter. I'm really so sick of cover letters.

I was lucky enough to be in the first group of people who went in, and we watched a promotional video about the company. I'm sure you can picture it--some chick sitting at a computer pretending to be on a real call, then someone else, a "manager" probably, comes behind her and puts a hand on her shoulder, and the camera zooms in as they share a smile. I have to say, it looks like a great place to work!

So I had the first interview with a woman, let's call her Old Stoney, and she was totally stone-cold-ice-face with me the whole time. You know how when you talk and explain a situation, and the person you're talking to sometimes nods, smiles, or makes agreeable noises? Not Old Stoney. She just sat there staring at me, not saying a word. And anyone who knows me know that when someone does that, I just start blabbering on. So it didn't go well.

But the second interview brought something that I have never encountered in the countless interviews I have gone on in the last year: A man. Ah yes, men. Anyone who has read my previous entries will remember that I can charm a man into many things. This was no exception. To be frank, this guy LOVED me. We even had to do this role playing exercise where I have to try and sell him business cards, and I suck at sales, but he not only bought the cards, but he bought the more expensive ones. Let's just say if it was up to that guy, he would hire me and marry me.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me. It's not like my dream job or anything, but it will definitely fulfill the dream of getting a paycheque, which is enough for now.

Some final notes:
1. Today my mother asked me if I was finished with the straightening iron. I said, "Yes, I turned it off." But you know what I forgot? To unplug it. So I said to her, "What is it that you think is going to happen if we don't unplug it? That it will turn itself on and burn down the house?" And she said yes. I think she's really got a point here. I know I hate it when those pesky appliances turn themselves back on. They should really invent some that don't have minds of their own.

2. Today on MSN Entertainment I read the best word, "Fracas" used in the best sentence: "Rapper Snoop Dogg and five associates were arrested after a fracas at Heathrow Airport." I'm pretty sure that's how Snoop himself put it.

3. Chris Rowe is back on the dating scene with a vengeance. Ladies, tell your friends. Mothers, lock up your daughters. Just kidding.

Charming my way into employment?
sbg

0 comments: